2 cups whole grain oat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cups peeled, chopped apples
1/4 cup lukewarm water
3/4 cup corn or canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine oat flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, cinnamon, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Sift thoroughly with a fork.
3. Add applesauce, chopped apples, water and oil. Mix with a large spoon until well blended.
4. Pour mixture into a non-stick, standard-sized loaf pan (silicone bake ware works best).
5. Bake on middle rack of oven until top appears light brown and slightly crusty (approximately 40-50 minutes).
Makes 1 loaf.
Corn or canola oil for frying
1/4 cup potato flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound ground chicken
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon dried, crushed thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oil in a deep fryer.
- Line a plate with two layers of paper towels. Set aside.
- Combine potato flour and salt in a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Combine chicken, salt, thyme and black pepper in a medium bowl. Stir with a fork until chicken is smooth.
- Add flour mixture to chicken. Blend thoroughly with a fork until smooth.
- Use hands to form half dollarâ€“sized nuggets.
- Dip 4-6 nuggets in hot oil. Add more or less, depending on your deep fryerâ€™s capacity.
- Stir frequently to distribute heat evenly.
- Fry until medium-brown (approximately 60 â€“ 90 seconds). Do not over-cook; potato flour burns quickly.
- Remove nuggets from deep fryer. Place on lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Cool before serving.
Makes 10 to 12 two-inch nuggets.